Monday, July 20, 2009

Spicy Pepper Shrimp/Garlic-Soy Spinach




I found this recipe in the hubby's "Men's Health" June 2009 issue. Not only was it delish, it was easy to prepare (perfect for a work night), and I had most of the ingredients (except for the hoisin sauce - that's new for me!). While I have the summer off from school, my goal is to try a new recipe each Monday, which is my day off. Adam is working late tonight, so I am hoping he likes it too!

Here are the recipes:

Spicy Pepper Shrimp
2 tsp peanut oil, 1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes, 1 cup bite sized pieces of red or green pepper (I cut them into 'fajita' style strips), 1/4 medium onion (I used a white onion), 1 Tbsp oj, 2 Tbsp jalapenos, 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce, 10 oz. medium cooked shrimp. Heat the oil and pepper flakes in a medium-hot skillet, and then add all the remaining ingredients except the shrimp. Cook the mixture 2-3 mins., stirring frequently, and then add the shrimp for another 2-3 mins. Serve over brown rice. (I also garnished with sesame seeds.)

Garlic-Soy Spinach
1.5 tsp sesame or peanut oil, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 bunch spinach (I used an entire bag of baby spinach), 1.5 tsp soy sauce, pinch sugar, 1 Tbsp sesame seeds.
Heat the oil in a wok or saute pan over medium heat. And the garlic and cook 1-2 mins. until it's very lightly browned. Add the spinach, saute, stirring, until the spinach is fully wilted, about 5 mins. (The spinach will cook down quickly to a much smaller portion.) Add the soy sauce and sugar, and cook another minute. Serve with sesame seeds on top.

Both recipes make two servings. For WW followers, 6 points for each spicy pepper shrimp serving w/out brown rice. For the garlic-soy spinach, 1 pt. per serving.


Laura

0 comments: